Re: [teacherartexchange] Permissions

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2007 - 05:40:06 PDT

>I've just returned from a delightful trip to France. I took many photos of the art in my favorite museums. Since I took the photos, do I own the images and can post them on line or use them as I see fit? Or since the photos are of work owned by museums, I can't? I do expect to use them in Power Points in class. In Egypt we weren't allowed to take photos of some things (in the Cairo Museum and some tombs and temples), because, we were told, the museum owned the items and the museum wanted to benefit from their reproductions and images. I want to be sure. Thanks for any assistance.
>
>Ginny Rockwood
>Brattleboro Area Middle School
>Brattleboro, VT

As I understand the copyright laws, you, as the photographer, own the copyright to photographs that you take. The artwork, if done in recent history, might also have a copyright. Old historic works would not be copyrighted. I do not know exactly how many years must elapse before a copyright expires. It is different in different countries. I think I saw or heard someplace that it is up to 70 years after the death of the creator in the US.

For about 10 years, Mary Ann Sullivan, Professor of English and Art History, Bluffton, U., Ohio, has been posting her slides from 30 years of professional travel. She has a growing collection of more than 13,000 images. She posts them as a volunteer as a public service to teachers (and students) and allows anybody to use her images for teaching and learning at no charge. She just asks that you credit her when you use them in the classroom. Commercial use is not permitted without permission.

This is Mary Ann's URL
http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/index/index.html

Marvin
studio phone: 574-533-0171??
http://www.bartelart.com
"Art is me when I am myself." ... a kindergarten girl when asked, "What is art?"