Re:[teacherartexchange] Responses re Supreme Court Ruling?

---------

From: Betty B (bettycarol_40_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2007 - 17:55:44 PDT

yes, the ever present mushroom, and I'm an expert now
on the latest aryan nation insignia. It is almost
amusing how surprised they are that I know what they
are drawing. Sadly, they learn it from their male
relatives in prison.

As for experiencing censorship, I was called in last
year for allowing my students to willy nilly look at
what used to be considered middle-school-appropriate
art history books. "All those naked pictures". My
boyfriend was not only called in but observed and had
his materials reviewed for showing Rick Steves' video
"The best of Italy" as part of his European unit
(geography teacher).

I have removed all National Geographic magazines from
my classroom and no longer use them for collages, it
is just such a problem, I am so tired of kids trying
to be helpful and quietly bringing me a picture of
indigenous nudity and telling me they don't want me to
"get in trouble".

But then again, we now have kids telling the Science
teacher that he's teaching them (in the eyes of
Biblical literalists) lies and that plate tectonics is
just made up - what is happening to this culture???

Betty C Bowen
printmaker, painter
art educator
Cushing Oklahoma