Re: [teacherartexchange] Responses re Supreme Court Ruling?

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2007 - 14:02:35 PDT

On Jul 2, 2007, at 8:40 PM, ejb35@columbia.edu wrote:

> Last week the Supreme Courts handed down a decision that likely will
> have an impact on freedom of speech for students (and teachers).
>
> As free expression in art education is the subject and substance of
> my doctoral research and writing, I would appreciate hearing from
> members of the listserv who have experience with freedom of
> expression, censorship, self censorship and other pertinent topics
> to this issue. What do you think of the Supreme Court ruling?

Any time the Supreme Court rules on freedom of speech I get more
than a bit nervous. If you read the details of this case, it's more
than peculiar. You will also find that the ACLU and Pat Robertson
are on the same side!!!!!!!

I guess what I always have to think about is what is "too" offensive?
what is "too" inappropriate? and how do we maintain the best
perspective when guiding teenagers through what teenagers do best-
question and rebel.
Avoiding the issues does nothing to help them say what they so want
to say. Teaching them to say it with conviction and belief and be
able to face the consequences is what they need to learn. A
majority of the time , the teenager will back down when he/she knows
some commitment and willing to fight for is involved. Many of us
whine and complain about the lack of conviction our young people
have. I think they don't, because they only know they come against
road blocks they have never been taught to find their way around.
They spend hours upon hours in classrooms being instructed on how to
get the "right" answer. So maybe, when they try to express some
opinion, it comes off as immature because that's where they are in
the problem solving process.

I must say I have major problems with depictions of drugs and such.
Maybe the solution is to question and delve on why they feel the need
to anesthetize themselves so much. ??? Maybe if we get to what they
are really feeling about and how they feel about, then maybe
directing the art expression will help them understand that the
"mark" they make has an impact much more effectiver than some silly
show like what started this whole court case.

On this eve of our celebration of rights and freedoms
before this day when we cherish what it is to be American
let's not forget that 1st Amendment and how fragile it can be in the
hands of the wrong minds.

Happy 4th to you all

Patty