Re:[teacherartexchange] Responses re Supreme Court Ruling?

---------

From: leah rachlis (leah_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2007 - 13:20:43 PDT

We had an issue with this in our homophobic little town, where a High School
painting was rejected from the city wide art show for content - it showed a
football player, looking especially effeminate (read: GAY) leaning on the
bumper of a car with a rainbow decal... the artist wanted to address
stereotypes - and the school district said fine, but not in out art show...

Our district restrict anything with drug, alcohol or gang related logos to
be displayed (specifically on clothing) so I tend to restrict it in my
classroom, but I address it from an different angle in that if it is a logo,
or insignia I consider it to be someone else's art work, and should not be
used in our own (always teaching about copyright)... But I have struggled
with the ever present mushroom.

With secondary students I really struggle with censorship issues, students
needs to know they are free to express themselves - but they also must learn
that there expression can and often will incite reaction.

Of course now, the Government is doing what it fears we will not do for
ourselves - Didn't a number of our forefathers rebel to assure these rights
for us? or is it really all just about fireworks and hot dogs?

 - Leah