Re: [teacherartexchange] Responses re Supreme Court Ruling? RACE

---------

From: Dulcius (dulcius_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2007 - 09:16:20 PDT

I don't believe that the two districts were "compelling" anyone to be bussed
anywhere. My understanding is, students within the district were allowed to
rank the schools they could attend in order of preference, and then if a
particular school was going to be less than 15% or more than 70% (or
something in that vicinity) minority, a decision could be made based on race
to keep diversity at all the schools. Apparantly it was supported heavily
by students, parents, and school staff of all racial backgrounds.
-Lydia in Toledo