Re: [teacherartexchange] Materials for a Sculpture

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2007 - 06:25:22 PDT

>Hello Everyone,
>I want my students to create a painted sculpture. I don't want to use clay because it seems too heavy; I want the end product to be light. Paper Mache will take too long. Does anyone have any ideas?
>This list is a wonderful source of ideas and inspiration for me.?
>Thank you all.
>Pam

SCULPTURE CONCEPTS
For a different approach to sculpture, I suggest doing a search for a used copy of The DESIGN CONTINUUM by Kranz and Fisher. They organize the visual world on the basis of materialization of and demineralization of form. It begins with flat surface and moves in stages to monolithic mass and then on to three-dimensional linear form dematerialized into open space. They illustrate progressive categories with famous artwork, with everyday objects, and with student interpretations of each stage. This reference can be helpful for a teacher to read the minds of artists in order to come up with warm ups, practice activities, idea searches, experiments, discovery activities, and invention challenges. Students can find their own way without seeing the book. Students can learn how to learn how to be sculptors.

MATERIALS TO USE
Coating light weight sculpture with wall texture medium from a building supply store before adding color will make it possible to use virtually anything including paper, cardboard, sticks, wire, wood scraps, Styrofoam, and foam board. Assembly can be done with tape, glue, pegs, nails, screws, string, wire, and/or plaster with mesh strips.

Marvin