[teacherartexchange] sculpture

---------

From: Foell, Marlyn_at_TeacherArtExchange (Marlyn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2007 - 06:07:43 PDT

Hi all:

Have you ever used celluclay? It's an instant paper mache that gets very
hard almost overnight. Pricey, though.

I make a knockoff of my own by using finely shredded paper mixed with
wallpaper paste and some Elmer's. The shred is almost like confetti--comes
from the local Air Force base's shred machine which does it so finely it
absolutely can't be reconstructed.

 You can also use regularly shredded paper (I let it soak in either water or
wallpaper paste overnight), but finer is quicker. We can put a 1/2in thick
layer on and have it dry overnight, usually with fans...and it's equal to
multi-layers of papier mache. It gets very sturdy very fast and you can
mold and sculpt features and texture with it.

The kids get a ziploc and make their own by mixing the materials right in
the bag. Mush mush mush to get it all mixed to a grey color and no visible
paper pieces. We keep it in the fridge to keep it fresher and add a little
more paste to reconstitute the mixture the next day.

Can post more details as requested.
Marlyn

Due to Florida's broad public records law, most written communications to or
from government employees regarding public education are public records.
Therefore, this e-mail communication may be subject to public disclosure.