RE: [teacherartexchange] Responses re Supreme Court Ruling?

---------

From: KPRS2 (kprs2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2007 - 18:32:33 PDT

Over the years, my "rule of thumb" has been very simple and something I
believe in and is easy for me to explain to students. I describe the
patronage system and explain to them that the taxpayers of the town we
reside in, are, in essence, our patrons. It is easy for me to guage what my
patrons want. I sign my name to the teachers' contract with the support of
my patrons. In my town they do not want anything that is drug or sex
related, or violent in nature. Plain and simple. Should my students wish to
express their desire in these areas, I encourage them to do it on their own
time with their own supplies, but not with taxpayers' monies and not during
my class. Over the years I have had many strong pieces of artwork produced
in the classroom on a variety of subject matters, even made Art In America
because one of my students' works was censored by a tobacco company (it was
an anti smoking piece). I do not discourage free expression, but let my
students know that the supplies/time/and teacher they are using are courtesy
of the taxpayers. There are so many 'big ideas' that students can discover
that I have NEVER had any student in my 30+ years push the issue. In fact I
think I helped a few set up a studio in their own home to do works not
available to them in the public school.

San D