Re: [teacherartexchange] Interview an administrator

---------

From: Diane Gregory (dianegregory2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2007 - 19:35:26 PDT

Hi Beth,

Sounds like a good idea. However, I would suggest
that you not try to hand pick the administrator if you
want your students to have an authentic experience. I
would suggest that you have them go individually
and/or in pairs to interview administrators of middle
schoool and high school to hear and listen to their
real views on the value of an education in art.

I would then have the students make a report and
analysis of what they heard. I would even recommend
that they post these in a electronic discussion board
so they could analyze them for a couple of weeks and
have a great discussion. They could compare what they
heard with Eisner's statement on the NAEA web site and
what they think. I would also be tempted to talk to
some teachers in the district to see if their schools
support visual arts education. I think it is
important to hear a variety of voices. I would
include advanced art students, as well as parents,
community members, etc. to get a full picture.

I think it is important for students to experience the
realities of public school education. :-)

This is how I would handle it and I think anytime one
can get students participating in real world
activities the better.
--- Elizabeth Heisey <elizhiz@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was going to have my secondary art students next
> fall interview one of the more powerful and
> influential administrators in hopes of garnering
> support for the arts. I wanted them to ask him about
> his views on the importance of art. I hope to
> demonstrate to the school generally how important
> the
> arts are. Maybe it would be better if I did the
> interview myself--too much at risk??? Has anyone
> else
> done this? If so, would you be willing to share a
> couple of good questions?
> Beth

Dr. Diane C. Gregory
Associate Professor of Art Education