Re: [teacherartexchange] Kindergarten Art ... Any ideas and suggestions will be welcomed :)

---------

From: Amy Broady (AmyBroady_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2006 - 20:40:39 PDT

I just found out today that Art will be provided for the kindergarteners
now, too, at my large elementary school. GREAT for the K students and their
teachers...they deserve a quality art program, too! But it's a bit of a jolt
to the Art Department! That adds 10 additional classes on top of the
schedule. I don't know how our administrator will choose to divvy up the
work between myself and the other full-time as-of-yet-unnamed art educator;
I just found out today that we are getting a second teacher, but the
specifics have not yet been revealed. I hope to find out who it is tomorrow.

When I accepted my job in December, I became the 2nd full-time art teacher
at the school of about 1100 kids. My colleague left at the end of the year
to accept a position closer to where she lives (dang, I miss her!), and I
did not know for certain until today whether or not the school would be
getting someone to fill the vacancy.

Our first official day back is this Friday. (Teacher inservice.) I do not
yet know which grades I will be teaching or whether or not I have a
classroom to myself--it may end up being a team-teaching situation, two
classes in one fairly large-sized room. Or I may be placed in a
less-than-ideal portable classroom without a sink in the main area. (Oh
please, not that!)Needless to say, I am very eager to meet my new colleague.
Very nervous, too--I sure hope our teaching styles complement each other ...
and that we get along on a personal level, too, and can have fun with what
we do...and that we increase each others' effectiveness and efficiency. And
so on....

Hmmmm...I am very eager to get some answers so I can REALLY start planning,
though I have been mentally preparing all summer, as best I could with so
little info on the specifics.

As for kindergarten art classes...I was the parent volunteer teacher for
both of my kids' PTA art curriculum lessons when they were in kindergarten,
so I have experienced what it is like to teach the littles one. I found that
they were actually very eager and attentive when it came to talking about
master artists. I found ways to keep their attention and get them really
interested in the feature artists' lives and works. So, if I am the one
assigned to them this year, I will enjoy introducing them to art masters
and then having a hands-on experience that will relate to the art of
whichever artist we are studying. I will certainly try to enlist parent
helpers for the studio part of their experience.

Thank you to every one who has offered insight into this level! I will be
going back and re-reading the posts.

Amy