Re: [teacherartexchange] pre-assesment?

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2006 - 15:50:50 PDT

On Jul 31, 2006, at 2:47 PM, Marvin Bartel wrote:

> I am certainly in favor of pre-testing to see what students know
> and can do. However, it may not be possible or it may not be the
> best use of time to bring every student up to the same level before
> moving on. We risk boring the best students who need to be
> challenged more. Diverse ability levels are hard to teach en mass,
> but easy to teach one-on-one.

I use my own version of the K-W-L chart
What do you know? What do you want to know? How will you find out
how to know It? .... and then -what did you learn about the
learning?(post assessment)
If you know something already about the problem or question I
present, then what else do you want to find out? How will you do
that? What will you focus on? If you don't like my problem to
solve, what's your alternative? (dodging my problems is not a choice
solution)

This is how I start the thinking process.

> Therefore: CREATE A COLLABORATIVE STUDIO CULTURE
>
> I find it useful to tutor the advanced students on how to tutor the
> slower students when the needs arise? I like to challenge every
> student to help with the teaching and learning. If peers can learn
> to teach with questions and by helping to set up experiments, (not
> doing things for them) all will benefit. Self-instruction and peer-
> instruction are natural and often the most effective ways to
> learn. The culture of an art classroom should be a learning
> environment where citizenship means that we all pitch in to leave
> no mind behind. I call it creating a collaborative studio culture.
I am such an advocate of peer teaching --- "the best way to learn
something is to teach it." But as Marvin suggests the classroom
climate needs to be established so the comfort level is acceptable
for the kids. They need to trust each other. I truly rely on peer
teaching for basic technique kind of stuff. Of course I monitor that
teaching, but for the most part the kids are very responsible about
passing on the skills.

I had a very unusual AP class this past year. It included every kid
from the intellectually gifted to the artistically gifted to the
learning disabled. The personalities covered as wide a range. And
they all got along, because I expected cooperation and collaboration
and helping each other. I told them from the get go that the
diversity within the group required cooperation. They more than rose
to the challenge. Kids will do that when they are given the
responsibility and challenge. Especially in the art room. They know
they are "different" and they bond in that differentness.

> If a pre-test is used, try asking them to name the most famous
> woman artist they know. I have had many elementary education
> college students who could not name one
Oh boy... not even O'Keefe?

Patty