Re: [teacherartexchange] pre-assesment?

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2006 - 11:11:16 PDT

Chris,

Suggestions:

Establish a possible curriculum for the 5th and 6th
grade. Try not re-inventing the wheel, go online and
look what is available and select what might work for
you.

Second give a simple pre-assessment that might include
matching, true/false and maybe a drawing exercise or
creation part. The things should be basic: line
identification, color mixing, shape/form
identification, writing about a piece of art, texture
identification, cutting, glueing etc.

I participated in the development of your Elementary
program and had many of the issues you discussed about
students not knowing things. I came up with a
solution by creating centers or visuals around the
room where students could find the answers. The
centers/visuals can be expanded as new questions or
issues develop. In the case of the ruler I created a
large ruler with the measurements on them along with
how to measure a piece of paper, make borders etc.
The centers/visuals you can use year to year and with
5th or 6th grade. You might even consider having the
students participate in the creation of these
visuals/centers in order to reinforce the concepts.
Directing students to find the answers and having them
available makes students more independent and will
free up time for you. Having students find answers is
much more a "real world" experience then just
supplying them with the answers.

You will find having resources available and ready for
students you will spend less time on the small
concepts and focus more on the big ones. This will
make your 7 week class time more productive.

Good luck on your assignment.

Jeff

--- chris massingill <chris_massingill@yahoo.com>