[teacherartexchange] pre-assesment?

---------

From: chris massingill (chris_massingill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2006 - 10:14:54 PDT

Hi Everyone,

I am going to be switching from 1st - 5th to 5th and
6th grade only in a district without a curriculum.
Technically, last year was the first year for art and
so my students have had one year of art, but there's
no telling what they covered as each elementary
teacher creates their own curriculum.

So, I was wondering if anyone on the list does any
kind of pre-assesment at the start of the year that
they would like to share, or do you just plan
assignments and adjust as needed.

One of the reasons I ask is that I had several
problems last year where I had planned projects or
assignments that had postponed when I discovered that
I had fifth graders who didn't know how to use a ruler
or how to mix green. In these classes, we discussed
an artist or a concept and started a project only to
find that the kids couldn't do the production part of
the assignment.
And of course when asked if they know how to use a
ruler everyone says "YES!!" as if I have asked a
ridiculous question, but then they come to me later
and ask "what does cm stand for?" or they have to redo
their assignment because they can't tell the inch line
from the 1/4" line.

I would like to avoid this problem this year and make
sure to cover what they need before we get to the
making portions of our project, but I'm just not sure
how to go about testing them on the basics and if I
did have a pre-assesment it would be nice to be able
to give it at the start of the quarter and again at
the end to measure their progess. Any suggestions
would be appreciated.

Also, I think I should mention that I see them every
day, but only for 7 weeks, so time is of the essence
in covering material.

Thanks for your help!

chris in Central Arkansas