Re: [teacherartexchange] National Gallery of Art Institute

---------

From: Amy Broady (AmyBroady_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2006 - 10:13:52 PDT

San D,

I really enjoyed your summary of your week, and appreciate the time you took
in writing about it to share with us. Thank you! It sounds like a wonderful
opportunity.

Is the Dutch Art institute offered every year, or does it change from year
to year? Were elementary teachers involved as well, or just secondary?

Did you have a chance to explore other art sites in D.C.?

Did anyone on our list participate in the Phillips Collection Paul Klee
Institute?

Last Monday I got to spend half a day in Washington. I wandered around the
National Mall, took some photos at the Smithsonian castle, explored and took
lots of photos at the National Gallery's outdoor Sculpture Garden, and spent
a few hours in the East Wing of the National Gallery. I especially enjoyed
the Rousseau and the Charles Sheeler special exhibits. The Rousseau exhibit
was the very reason I arranged my trip to include a short period in
Washington. Since no photos were allowed in those special exhibits, I had
more space on my digital memory card for photographing other modern art
there in the East Wing. Still, I ran out of memory before running out of
items I wanted to photograph.

Unfortunately, my day in D.C. was solo, so I had no husband or friend
(Jeryl!) to take my picture next to any of the artwork so I could show my
students the scale. I did ask one security guard to take my picture with one
of the giant Matisse cut outs--he didn't frame it well, and seemed very
uncomfortable with the task, but I'm glad he was willing to give it a try.

I had hoped to visit the Phillips collection as well, as there is an exhibit
there now on the art of childhood (focusing on childhood art of various
masters such as Picassso and Klee), but alas--it is closed on Mondays. Did
you get to see it? It is probably just as well for me that it was closed on
the one day I could've gone--I would not have had time to see it. As it was,
I didn't have enough time at the National Gallery.

I hope to make it back to D.C. this fall--I hadn't been in a very long time,
and it felt good to be there. (I grew up an hour south of Washington, not
realizing what a privilege it was to take all those school field trips there
every year! NOW I understand how fortunate we were!)

The weekend leading up to my Monday in Washington, I was in Chicago with DH
for a wedding reception.

It was great to revisit the Art Institute so soon after NAEA; I was able to
see more of it than l was in March, but still not spend even half as much
time there as I wanted to! I picked up a bunch of resources from the gift
shop, too. I also went to the Museum of Science and Industry for the first
time--it was overwhleming! Unfortunately, the Leonardo da Vinci special
exhibit was sold out that day, disappointing both DH and myself. But the
rest was great. We had wonderful weather--not too hot over the weekend; boy
did we luck out!

I did not make it to the Field Museum to see the King Tut exhibit--it was
$30 per person, from what I understand, and we were afraid that we wouldn't
have enough time there to get our money's worth (DH placed a high priority
on the Museum of Science & Industry, and since it is further away, that ate
up most of our Saturday before the reception). Maybe I'll make it back to
Chicago before King Tut's treasures leave on January 1. Wouldn't that be
nice?! But not likely--having been twice in one year is pretty darn good,
considering I hadn't been there in 10!

Did anyone else have any inspiring museum visits this summer?

Amy in TN