Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Signs of the Times - Robert Cottingham - lesson idea

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 30 2006 - 13:24:02 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Here is an artist that might spark a lesson using signs of local
businesses as a source for compositions.

Robert Cottingham - Eyeing America:
This online presentation features essays, some work from various
cities across the country and 70 works from the museum collection
(primarily prints).

Cottingham is a photorealist artist who often focused on letters/words
in neon signs.

Many examples of his work can be found on line:

If anyone does a lesson using this artist, let me know. Students can
take photographs - then focus down using viewfinders. There are
already lessons on Incredible Art Department that you can tweak for
this. I wish I had known about this artist when I did my "Our Town"
units. We did use local business signs.

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources