Re: [teacherartexchange] Painting with children

---------

From: Eileen Ellis (iforget000_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 30 2006 - 12:12:45 PDT

HELLO: Connie:

I have been teaching art in the same room for 12 years without a sink.
Last I upgraded from an old metal cart to a rubbermaid cart for my IGLOO water
containers. I put two Igloo containers on the top and an empty 5
gallon bucket on
the bottom. The empty container is for dirty water only! My kids are
very used to it.

I initially had drying space for only 30 pieces of art so if I did 2
homerooms of "wet"
projects it was tough to find drying space. I bought another drying rack
(actually a mail sorter) and could then dry 2 homerooms. Now I have
plastic closet shelving installed over my lockers so I can do up to
120 wet projects per day. If I don't have the drying space we can't do
a wet project. Generally as long as you explain to your principal that
you will
only be putting lightweight paper in the shelves they will usually let
you buy it.
You can also hang lightweight things off the edges of wire shelving.

I know this creates time issues but the school art room is not MY ROOM
it belongs to the kids.
If it's theirs they clean it up! I send students to the closest
bathroom to wash brushes (not acrylic paint). Then later will send
students to double check the bathroom for messes. You must always keep
the custodial staff happy!

Also if something isn't drippy wet you can use clothespins and or
magnets. I have collected tons of magnets over the years.

Our school has two of each grade k-8 and I see them all once a week
for 40 minutes.
Being creative in every way will help in setting up and organizing
your room. The kids have super ideas so ask them too.

I use silverware dividers for my brushes labeled with corresponding
sizes. I keep large brushes in upright plastic containers. I am very
"anal" about brush care and the kids know it. Brushes will last years
and years with proper care. never soak brushes overnight. If you have
too take them home in a zip lock and wash at home and place on paper
towels to dry, Re-shape if necessary.

I keep dishpans in the middle of the student tables with a roll of
paper towel and hand wipes in each one. If you have a spill you clean
it up fast not the teacher. By the time I get there it would be too
late. You can have a "fire drill" with water spills near the beginning
of the year. It a bit messy but fun. Put out scrap paper and tell the
kids you are going to have a Water Spill practice. ONLY YOU , just
you, knock over the kids water and they have to clean it up. I only
allow 1 to 2 water containers at a 4 seat table. We use margarine
containers and the kids are allowed to get up and change the water. We
try to use the light colors first as the water stays cleaner longer.

Send me your e-mail address and I will send you some photos of my
room. It may take me a few days to find them. If I cannot locate my
room pictures I will try to remember to take some the beginning of the
year before everything get messed up! LOL

Eileen Ellis
K-8 art
St .Richard School
North Olmsted Ohio