Re:[teacherartexchange] Painting with children

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 30 2006 - 09:25:47 PDT

I don't know your classroom setup, but organization in the artroom is really
important, regardless of medium since you want to spend maximum time
creating and minimum time on distribution of supplies/cleanup. I'll seperate
some of the issues and how I deal with them:

Water: Since you have a sink you are several steps ahead already. I have a
sink in my primary (none in my intermediate for those of you who wonder why
I seem to contradict myself at times! *L*). I have several butter bowls
(wider base, low top), and I put one bowl of water between two students.
Start painting with the lightest color first and work your way towards dark
colors to keep the water usable as long as possible. I have extra bowls and
switch their bowls during class. I do NOT allow students out of their chairs
unless I give students specific jobs.

Paintbrushes: I like the Biggie paint brushes for my primary students -
older students I started out with Crayola brushes in various sizes (NOT the
cheapo ones that come with the watercolors - I take those out from the start
and put them away!). I think the most important thing you can teach them is
the proper way to load paint onto a brush, and NOT to smash the brushes down
on the paper. I explain to them that the metal on the brush holds the
bristles in - it does not hold paint so they shouldn't try to force paint
out of it. If they need more paint dip the brush again.

Storage: When I paint with tempera or watercolor I have students put the
paintings on their portfolios and stack them on top of each other. This
makes the paintings dry flat and I don't have storage issues. If we use
liquid tempera or acrylic I use the drying rack. If we draw with glue they
have to dry flat so these get laid out along the wall. Also, plan ahead
which class is going to need what storage so you don't overbook your
available storage space.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids