Re:[teacherartexchange] table coverings and plywood boards

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilenski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 30 2006 - 08:48:35 PDT

The "masonite thing" you refer to has to do with the
practical aspects of teaching ceramics in an
elementary school as opposed to secondary. I have
both limited time (on average, once per week) with a
given class as well as limited storage for clay
pieces. I have designed my clay lessons to be started
and finished in one class session with follow-up
sessions for glazing. There is no real reason to use
clay bats for production, because these pieces will
not be worked on or added to after the initial
building process. At the secondary level, or in
elementaries where you may have daily contact with a
given group, that approach would drastically change.
Plaster bats would definitely prove useful and
necessary in that case. I'm sure the purists in the
group might take exception to this, but I have been
teaching ceramics for many years in this manner with
good sucess.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

www.artguyvilenski.com