Re: [teacherartexchange] Artists who were/are heroes?

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2006 - 06:51:25 PDT

Dear Jan and all,

I would like to see this list grow....

I posted Jan's request to Art Education and ArtsEducators list and
here is a reply from Patty Knott.

Names that come to mind of artists that make contributions in other
ways include:

Dale Chilhuly -- for his work with "at risk " kids
Rauschenberg-- for bringing awareness to students with learning
disabilities ( The power of Art: Teaching Students with Learning
Disabilities)
Chuck Close--- simply for his courage and incredibly positive
attitude in spite of all his physical problems
George Lucas -- The George Lucas Education Foundation is a wonderful
resource of great ideas for using new and emerging technologies in
education
Margaret Bourke-White -- not only was she one of the greatest
photographers of the 20th century, but one of the greatest women.
She truly went places no man had gone before.
Dorethea Lange -- she gave us perhaps THE photo icon of the 20th
century. And she 'talked back" to the federal govt.

Here are some artists that are on my heroes list:

Jacob Lawrence
Romare Bearden
Faith Ringgold
Kathe Kollwitz
Keith Haring

Many of my students chose Leonardo da Vinci for their hero when I did
my Heroes units. Some chose Michelangelo. They were not required to
select an artist. This was interdisciplinary with social studies.

What artists are your "heroes"?

Judy Decker