Re:[teacherartexchange] table coverings for clay

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilenski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2006 - 05:21:41 PDT

I have tried a variety of methods for covering tables
over the years, but I have settled for no coverings at
all. Instead, I use 6x6 plywood or masonite boards
for individual projects, the type of boards sold for
craft projects. I can purchase these in bulk at a
decent price, and usually have enough for several
classrooms at a time. Among the many qualities of the
wood boards is the fact that clay, once leathery, will
remove easily from the boards for further drying. In
addition, the board provides a stable surface for
flattening the bottoms of pottery, cutting slabs and
an easy method of transporting the clay from tables to
storage. Once clean-up begins, the boards can be used
to scrape tables of dried clay and keeps those done
early busy.

As far as clay tool storage is concerned, I simply use
a large storage tub filled with clay tools, which
include traditional clay tools in addition to plastic
forks, knives, combs, popsicle sticks and anything
else that will cut or make textures. The kids think
it is a treasure box and get a good laugh at the goofy
stuff I put in there to make designs and marks!

Hope this helps,

Jerry

www.artguyvilenski.com