[teacherartexchange] Interesting paintings of hands

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2006 - 14:17:19 PDT

Hi, all,

I was looking up Oswaldo Guayasamin, an Ecuadorian artist whose work I
was familiar with. The beginning page of the site dedicated to him (he
died in '99) shows his many gestural paintings of hands, illustrating
Hope, Silence, Fear, etc. The titles are in Spanish, but all start with
Las Manos de...(Hands of...) You would just have to translate the last
word. Guayasamin was Ecuador's most famous artist. He had only
recently died when I visited there in '99. His work is very reminiscent
of both Picasso and Tamayo. His studio and adjoining museum were open
to the public when I was there. He had an incredible collection of
pre-columbian artifacts in addition to paintings, sculptures, and prints
of other artists. Here's the site:
http://www.guayasamin.com/pages/index.html

Maggie