[teacherartexchange] kdg ideas for Christine

---------

From: Jeryl Hollingsworth (hollingsworth005_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2006 - 11:29:38 PDT

Christine,

     I have kdg for 50 minutes once a week. I use the letter that the
classroom teachers are working on each week to build my lesson around. Most
of the time I have a book to read to them and I try to do some movement
activity or song also. It's good to let them move around. We usually start
at their tables so they remember where they sit, I might go over quickly
what we will be doing, then I move them to the floor and we have the story
or I do a PowerPoint to go with the lesson. Then I do a demo and move them
back to their seats and we start to work. You have to leave plenty of time
for clean-up. I have a book case by the door with all kinds of old art
textbooks and old library books so they can sit there and look at books when
their hands are clean and their artwork is put up. I have lots of lessons
built up for the letter. Like I to do Where the Wild Things Are for W and we
draw wild things on black paper with oil pastels. I glue googly eyes on the
paper ahead of time. While we are reading the book, I let them roll their
eyes and gnash their terrible teeth, etc... Just to let them move a little.
For H I show them the some artwork where everybody is wearing hats, and then
we do newspaper hats. For y I read Little Blue and Little Yellow and we
finger paint with blue and then yellow on the same paper. Oh, also I have an
art mom that comes with each kindergarten. If the classroom teacher doesn't
line a mom then the aide has to stay. Sometimes even two sets of hands
aren't enough! Hope this helps!

                         Jeryl in SC who is starting back to school on
Monday!!!!