Re: [teacherartexchange] first time planning curriculum for elementary

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2006 - 09:25:38 PDT

Kelly,

I can relate to your experience. I was in the same
situation several years ago. Some suggestions of what
I did.

I checked with the kindergarten teachers on what they
were teaching as far as color, shape, line (basic art
concepts) in the regular classroom and when they were
doing this during the year. It is good to know if
your introducing a concept or reinforcing one when you
teach it.

Look at the standards to for direction what is to be
introduced in kindergarten thru the fourth grade. A
scope and sequence process.

Layout concepts of Elements and Principles that you
will address K-4, Concepts of Drawing, Painting,
Printmaking, Scupture, Ceramics, Fibers etc. Decide
when you tackle each per grade level. This will make
creating lessons easier.

What I did was define the kindergarten projects and
just simply increased the level of difficulty with
more directions and concepts per grade level.

I suggest you go to this site, if you have not yet,
it is a wonderful example of lessons for a variety of
grade levels.

http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/

I also suggest you join these to listservs:

They are great sites to get information and share
information.

Jeff Pridie