Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] first time planning curriculum for elementary

From: Sarah Critzman (sjcritzman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2006 - 09:18:17 PDT

I think the same themes for each grade, but different
lessons is a good idea. This will be my fifth year
teaching elementary and I am going to do that as well.

My idea is to try an around the world theme for the
year- learning about different cultures and artists
that come from each area. This way I think I will be
able to gather - for example - a bunch of chinese
cultural items like art, clothing, music, etc. And
then I will have those items in the future.

In the past I have spread myself too thin trying to
different things with each grade and it's hard to do
five different things at once and really learn about
them myself - does that make sense? This way I hope
to understand each culture better, gather more
resources, and the kids will be able to see other
examples of art from different grade levels...

I am not sure how much I will include Kindergarten in
this however, because I like to keep things pretty
simple with them - and I am not sure If I can cover
all the basics and do a cultural project (that they'll
really grasp) at the same time.

Good Luck!
Sarah in WI

Do You Yahoo!?