Re: [teacherartexchange] Kindergarten Art ... Any ideas and suggestions will be welcomed :)

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2006 - 06:32:05 PDT

Kindergartners - a VERY interesting age group! I am always AMAZED at how
really young they are on the first day of school. They mature so much over
the school year. I leave a kinder class knowing all this "stuff" and then
walk into my first day with a new batch and am reminded again at how much
they start out not knowing. More than likely they won't know how to line up,
how to sit quietly and listen to instruction, how to stay in their seat
(well, I always have a few that have been to preschool, but not many). I
don't know if there is any correlation, but I have always felt that there
was a direct link into reading/drawing skills. Their drawing skills seem to
improve dramatically when they can read, while the ones who struggle with
reading also struggle with drawing skills (course it seems to switch with my
high school kids - my special ed kids often shine!).

Anyways, I have several lessons on my site, but the first day I make copies
of the saying "Look at me, busy as a bee, on my first day of school at
Flinthills Primary". Then I pass out black crayons and we draw a bee, then I
pass out yellow crayons and color it in. I don't let them have ANY other
supplies - the less stimulus the better those first couple weeks while you
get routine down. Once you have a routine down I LOVE to put in my silly
songs cd and let the students listen while they work. They sing, dance, and
paint all at once - talk about expressing yourself! *L*
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids