RE: [teacherartexchange] Kindergarten Art ... Any ideas and suggestions will be welcomed :)

---------

From: familyerickson (familyerickson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2006 - 05:51:14 PDT

Hi Christine,
I taught K's for the first time last year. They are like little wiggle
worms at the first of the year but they will settle into your routine once
you get it established. One of the best things I did was recruit a parent
volunteer for each class-they provided that extra set of hands that really
comes in handy. I was lucky to find 2 parents whose children were having
trouble making the adjustment to school and wanted more "mommy" time. It
worked fine. I had them for 30 min. but often found that too short so I
think 40 is doable. Oh, also if you print out sticky name tags to put on
their pictures it saves you having to write all their names since most will
not be able to do that at least at first.

One of my best resources were Mary Ann Kohl's books. Go to her website:
www.brightring.com to see her books.

This group also really enjoyed learning to draw using basic shapes. I
start with a lesson where they glue the basic shapes(construct. paper) onto
another piece of paper-they can make houses, trains, cars etc. - (practice
gluing skills) and then lay another paper over it and do a crayon rubbing.
We talk about the shapes so that they all learn the names well. Then we
practice drawing the 5 basic shapes (circle, square, oval, rectancle,
triangle) and then we play around on the whiteboard and on paper making
animals, houses, cowboys, indians etc. by adding details. They then have
to draw their best/favorite one BIG. After these 2 lessons I find
they can draw most anything if you remind them to break it down into basic
shapes. This is a big confidence boost and gets them over the scary part
of "learning to draw". That frees them to use their imaginations which
are great of course!
Let me know if you want me to zap you a couple of my lesson plans.
Cindy

PS This year I am changing schools and I'll also be teaching PreK-
Yikes!!!!