Re:[teacherartexchange] Kindergarten Art

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilenski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2006 - 05:40:55 PDT

I prefer a simple approach to teaching Kindergarten
art. Keep in mind that most Kindergarteners come to
art class with a fairly limited exposure to most art
methods and materials. Simply learning how to get
through a demonstration is a challenge for most of
them! I usually begin the year with marker drawings,
done on fingerpaint paper, which I find makes smoother
drawings with a shiny luster. In ensuing weeks, I
devise a series of exploratory projects, simply
getting kids used to the art room, working in a group
situation, and gaining proper work habits. Projects
would include watercolor paintings, various
crayons,oil pastels and other coloring tools, tempera
paints, cutting projects. In essence, projects that
cover basic art tools and techniques and help
socialize students to working in a more loosley
structured classroom. Apropriate projects should
include activities that help develop small muscle
control and improve hand-eye coordination.

I usually don't attempt more sophisticated work until
second semester, when you should notice better skill
levels and attention spans. That is when I introduce
simple paper mache, clay and assemblage type
activities.

Don't expect dazzling artwork from most of your
students when you first get started. Kindergarteners
are still at an early develepmental stage that
includes beginning to draw symbols and organize
elements on a page. That is where art teachers become
valuable resources, helping kids gain skills in those
areas through develepmentally appropriate activities.

Hope this helps.

Vigilance, Jerry

www.artguyvilenski.com