[teacherartexchange] Kindergarten Art ... Any ideas and suggestions will be welcomed :)

---------

From: Rick Larson (jrlarson51_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2006 - 04:47:36 PDT

Christine, I usually start with a story or looking at art, then is ask
questions relating to the concept, then demo and then they work. They work
pretty fast, so have something to do when they finish and have cleaned up.
At the beginning, I try to get them into a routine, how to do clean-up, use
the supplies,and have a 'free-draw for them when they are done while I clean
their tables . They wash their own brushes. You will get joy from seeing
the ones that really have a gift. I have them for 50 minutes. I wouldn't
want any less time. I use a yellow ticket for behavior in cooperation with
their classroom. I keep a packet of 'yellow cards" and If I have to give 3
warnings, I take out a card and write their name on it, what the infraction
was, and send it back to the room with them. Fortunately, the classroom
teacher then follows through with their daily chart. Some books I use are,
my many colored days. My shape book, Harold and the purple crayon, Mouse
Paint, and another one that is about seeing shapes of shadows- ( I do
during Halloween.) You can email me off list if you need specifics.
Sometimes they can be a handful- get the expectations very clear from day
one. High expectations work - they will rise to meet them, imo.
Betsy