[teacherartexchange] Ideas for first week of school

---------

From: Marybeth Bortzfield (zbort_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2006 - 13:34:05 PDT

Hi Everyone,
I am beginning to formulate plans for the new school year and I was
wondering what other art teachers do during the first week of school? I
teach K-5, after introducing the room, reviewing expectations and playing
observant artists look and see what is different, I have had my 3-5 students
assemble a sketch book and illustrate the cover. K-2 usually illustrate a
summer activity they have done or something about their experiences during
the first day or week of school. I'm ready for a change and I am looking
for some creative fun ice breakers for the first week. My classes meet once
a week for one hour, except for K who I have for only 1/2 hour.
I also have a student teacher beginning the first day of school (my first
one!)
Any suggestions for the first week?

I have a suggestion for the clay postings too!,

Ceramic Supply in Lodi, NJ supplies the most beautiful clay! My elementary
school students never have to worry about wedging to eliminate unwanted air
pockets. Also, styrofoam meat trays which have been disinfected with a run
through in the dishwasher or if you are lucky clean ones donated from a
local grocery store, are great for individual work stations and storing work
in progress inside a plastic bag, along with the damp cloth for humidity. I
recycle the bags (heavy duty) from my clay blocks from Ceramic Supply, we
use masking tape to close the end and write names and class on the tape for
easy identification. Storage space for work is the only trick!