[teacherartexchange] Kids Love CLAY!

---------

From: leah rachlis (leah_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2006 - 06:08:04 PDT

I don't ahve too much to add to the clay unit discussion - as I am not too
far ahead of Stacie - BUT...

1) I would hold off on the wheel, espeically if your jsut starting, I have
been thowing for almost a year, and I am still not ready to do it with a
group of kids yet...

there is SO much you can do with handbuilding.

as far as work surface - I am one with VERY limted space - I use the plastic
type of table place mats... and then I have these strips of really heavy
plastic bags I cut up. They are the super thick dark green garbage bags
(expensive garbage bags but cheep work surfaces). the kids can each ahve
one under their work, they pick up ans slip easily into a plastic bag - they
clean up great, and if something happens to them - I really don't care.

I keep the placemat on the table (more for table coverage) - we make the
progression from pinch pots to slab projects through out elementary school -
the big hit is pinch pot animals... but I like slab boxes myself.

I do not have wheels (or room for wheels) in my itty bitty classroom - but I
take my own classes at a studio down town that has 7 wheels - i am thinking
I might take my Middle School kids down there on an outing and have my
instructor give them a lesson...

I would love to teach clay all day - but I would need to invest in bit
buckets of hand cream - when I finish a unit, my hands are horrible!

Have fun!

Leah