Re: [teacherartexchange] Art II and block scheduling.....help!

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2006 - 13:14:56 PDT

As San D mentioned, the Art 2 students will have forgotten much of what
they were taught last year. Start by "reviewing" (which will seem
brand-new to most of them) what they learned last year; you can make it
very similar to your Art 1 class and make it a little easier on yourself
in the beginning 'til you get a handle on what they already know. Trust
me, they will definitely let you know if they remember any of it! You
can start the first day by giving them a fun "test" instead of a
questionnaire to see what they remember. Try tweaking the first-day
suggestions listed on IAD so you can incorporate drawing, color mixing,
composition, perspective, or whatever lessons you will be teaching early
in the semester.

I taught a block schedule at HS for many years. It was NEVER a problem
keeping them busy the whole time (well, okay, there are always the ones
who won't work, but they won't work for a 30-minute class either). On
the days when I was introducing a new unit, I would talk, show slides,
demo, etc. the first day, then review it all for a day or two
afterwards. After I was done, they'd begin to work in their
sketchbooks, or take turns preparing their clay, or work on progress
worksheets that went along with some assignments. I had them trained to
come in, get their materials, and get right to work while I took
attendance and then worked with individual students. Many students
would be surprised when it was time to clean up! It's that good 'ol
right brain shutting off the clock-watching left brain.

Have fun,

Maggie