Re: [teacherartexchange] Art II and block scheduling.....help!

---------

From: Jeannie Browning (paintslingr_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2006 - 13:11:01 PDT

Congratulations on the new position!
I was in Elementary for 15 years, then moved to High School for the past six
years. I love both levels.

As stated in other posts, don't worry too much about continuity. If you can,
ask another teacher there what might have been covered in an Art I class.
Some schools have a set curriculum that might be helpful.
If not, don't sweat it. Give yourself permission to possibly repeat some
things; if the kids question you, call it "a review!" LOL

As for breaking up the time...think about a "warm up" activity that is low
prep for you...something the students get out for themselves, and work on
for the first ?fifteen? minutes of class that will help them focus and
settle while you're taking roll or readying supplies. Make it something
meaningful or they won't do it.
Decide on how much time you'll need to spend on your main
"concept/technique" taught: your demo, vocabulary, artist, practice,
decision-making, etc.
Then, figure out how much clean up time the class will need.

Consider possible curriculum components such as research, journals, or
ongoing activities that students can go to when they complete a project
early.
These will add depth to your instruction and greatly enhance their learning.
Over time, you'll develop the pieces and learn how to reach your students
most effectively.
Happy Art-ing!