[teacherartexchange] The art of drawing

---------

From: Elizabeth Heisey (elizhiz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2006 - 16:44:00 PDT

New York Times article Wednesday, page B1, "The Art of
Drawing: When Amateurs Roamed the Earth" is a must
read. It speaks of the idea of TV and the technology
removing our love and respect for amateur art. It has
taken us from being art makers to art watchers, and
the writer questions all that. Really interesting. Do
we want a society where we watch others take the
risks?
Apparently a show on the history of teaching drawing
will be at the Grolier club.
I have recently questioned at my own school why fewer
students take painting, as though they fear they don't
have hand control. So they take a class that uses
mouse control. The results are more professional
looking and slick.
Or, our students are just taking an art appreciation
class where only professionals make the art.
But at what cost? What is wrong with being an amateur
these days? What kind of courage does it take to make
art?! I think he is really getting to the heart of
things...
Beth