[teacherartexchange] comics

---------

From: Pam Wellington (loveart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2006 - 08:34:27 PDT

I started teaching cartooning 2 years ago. Other than my drawing skills I
knew almost nothing about it. This year I will have two full sections of
cartooning and I find it to be one of the most exciting art courses I have
ever taught. My students are so turned on to it. As a drawing based course
it has built-in motivation. The surprise for me was the wonderful
springboard it is for creative writing, for storytelling, for heated
discussions on politics and current events and pop culture. Wendy, thank
you for these amazing and incredibly helpful sites. wow! I can't thank you
enough. I have purchased the following as a very helpful textbook for this
class and I highly recommend it:

"The Encyclopedia of Cartooning Techniques: A Comprehensive Visual Guide to
Traditional and Contemporary Techniques -- by Steve Whitaker; Paperback"

If anyone is thinking of starting a cartooning class I would be willing to
share my curriculum and lesson plans. I have images as well but they will
have to wait until the fall. My school is in the midst of a renovation
project which makes it impossible for me to get into the building and onto
my computer until the fall.
Pam Wellington
Art Dept. Chair
Boiling Springs H.S.
Boiling Springs, PA
loveart@hotmail.com

***would really like to hear about others' thoughts on
comics. have found articles on how they help poor
readers and how they are used in ib classes - they
even have a physics and stats comics! wow. ***
wendy
www.wendypaigefree.com