[teacherartexchange] comics infatuation

---------

From: wendy free (wendypaigefree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2006 - 06:09:33 PDT

let me preface this by saying i have been biased
AGAINST using/"doing" comics in art class (right,
judy?). it bugged me how my kids just wanted to copy
garfield or a superhero and i really don't care for
manga/anime with its big eyes and other overly large
body parts...

went to the comic store yesterday and have to say it
was a life-changing experience. bought this book and
stayed up late reading and ogling the art.

http://www.flightcomics.com/preview.htm

the common thread among the diversity of style and
theme is that the artists are using pictures and words
(sometimes just pictures) to say something - profound,
beautiful, silly, sad, prophetic...something about
themselves and the human experience. they are telling
stories, explaining things, and sharing with their
art. this pretty much sums up what i want my students
to be able to do.

i'm not going to an all comics curriculum, but i see a
HUGE potential for comics to get students excited
about artmaking and communicating. the quality of art
i have seen is well worthy of study and analysis and
to serve as a model for compositional and technical
skill building.

others have posted some of the phenomenal resources
available to teachers; here are a few of what i have
found to be the best plus a new "must see".

http://www.moccany.org/duck/index.html click on
"waddle on through"

http://www.teachingcomics.org/resources.php

http://www.pearsonlearning.com/correlation/rsp/ResearchPaper_Comic.pdf

would really like to hear about others' thoughts on
comics. have found articles on how they help poor
readers and how they are used in ib classes - they
even have a physics and stats comics! wow.

 wendy
www.wendypaigefree.com