Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] comics infatuation

From: wendy free (wendypaigefree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2006 - 06:09:33 PDT

let me preface this by saying i have been biased
AGAINST using/"doing" comics in art class (right,
judy?). it bugged me how my kids just wanted to copy
garfield or a superhero and i really don't care for
manga/anime with its big eyes and other overly large
body parts...

went to the comic store yesterday and have to say it
was a life-changing experience. bought this book and
stayed up late reading and ogling the art.

the common thread among the diversity of style and
theme is that the artists are using pictures and words
(sometimes just pictures) to say something - profound,
beautiful, silly, sad, prophetic...something about
themselves and the human experience. they are telling
stories, explaining things, and sharing with their
art. this pretty much sums up what i want my students
to be able to do.

i'm not going to an all comics curriculum, but i see a
HUGE potential for comics to get students excited
about artmaking and communicating. the quality of art
i have seen is well worthy of study and analysis and
to serve as a model for compositional and technical
skill building.

others have posted some of the phenomenal resources
available to teachers; here are a few of what i have
found to be the best plus a new "must see". click on
"waddle on through"

would really like to hear about others' thoughts on
comics. have found articles on how they help poor
readers and how they are used in ib classes - they
even have a physics and stats comics! wow.

To unsubscribe go to