Re: [teacherartexchange] drawing on students work

---------

From: Holmgren (holmgren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2006 - 20:45:44 PDT

 I agree with you. I personally think it is disrespectful to draw or paint
on a student's work. I will use scratch paper, as you do--or put a piece of
clear acetate over a student's work and draw on that, if it seems it would
be helpful. Usually, I encourage students to figure out a way to make
something work by using leading questions. I tell students if I draw on
their piece, it is no longer their piece. I have a colleague who does
correct student's work, and it is interesting to hear some of the negative
feedback I have heard from students about this. And--my opinion on this is
based on working with elementary students now--but I felt the same way when
I was teaching watercolor painting to adult students.

Mary H.