Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Find Lesson Plans on getty.edu! GettyGames

RE:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: July 17, 2006

---------

From: Maureen (mmorris_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2006 - 08:34:45 PDT


I am impressed with people's responses to the artist as teacher debate.
Reading what you have to say and how you have said it has been worth any
aggravation the controversy may have created. My degree in school was a
studio art degree in painting and drawing. My education classes were
additional. So I can see how there are so many different perspectives
concerning this, we have walked different paths to get to where we are. Life
has a way of taking over and I fight that all the time. I am constantly
swimming upstream when it comes to getting into my studio to proceed with my
work. Believe me; it is a lot easier for us if we set up a space somewhere
in our homes that we can go to when we can devote time. Last night at one in
the morning, I could not sleep so I went into my studio to paint. I am
sleepy today but the soy chai is going down nicely. Good luck to all of us,
teaching is definitely one of the more noble things a person can do,
regardless of what we bring to the classroom. M.

-----Original Message-----
From: TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group digest
[mailto:teacherartexchange@lists.pub.getty.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 1:00 AM
To: teacherartexchange digest recipients
Subject: teacherartexchange digest: July 17, 2006

TEACHERARTEXCHANGE Digest for Monday, July 17, 2006.

1. digital camera recommendation
2. Re: digital camera recommendation
3. Re:artists as teachers
4. starting hs comics/graphic novel club
5. Re: teacherartexchange digest: July 16, 2006
6. great book swapping site
7. fun student work
8. Re: digital camera recommendation
9. video eq questions
10. Re: fun student work
11. Re: video eq questions
12. Re: digital camera recommendation
13. Re: video eq questions
14. Re: starting hs comics/graphic novel club
15. Re: video eq questions
16. Re: digital camera recommendation
17. Re: Re:digital camera recommendation
18. artist issue

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: digital camera recommendation
From: "croberts" <croberts18@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 07:52:44 -0400
X-Message-Number: 1

I'm about ready to buy a new digital camera with faster "flash recharge
speed". I have to wait too long before I can take next photo.

Also, even with flash, sometimes photo is not quite as clear as it should
be. I hardly ever print anything larger than 5x7.

And too, I want one that I can use rechargeable AA batteries.

Any recommendations????
Carolyn
croberts18@cox.net

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Re: digital camera recommendation
From: Woody Duncan <woodyduncan@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 06:34:19 -0600
X-Message-Number: 2

Carolyn,
        Browse to your hearts content at http://www.steves-digicams.com/
You can explore all sorts of cameras on this site.
                                                        Woody

On Jul 17, 2006, at 5:52 AM, croberts wrote:

> I'm about ready to buy a new digital camera with faster "flash =20
> recharge speed".
> I have to wait too long before I can take next photo.
> Also, even with flash, sometimes photo is not quite as clear as it =20
> should be.
> I hardly ever print anything larger than 5x7.
> And too, I want one that I can use rechargeable AA batteries.
>
> Any recommendations????
> Carolyn
> croberts18@cox.net

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
in powerpoint format, on one CD $17 (includes shipping)
http://www.taospaint.com/QualityLessons.html
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703
Albuquerque, NM 87199-1703

=93The function of the overwhelming majority of your artwork
is simply to teach you how to make the small fraction
of your artwork that soars.=94 from: =93Art & Fear=94

Woody's Watercolor Portfolio:
http://www.taospaint.com/Portfolio/Watercolors.html
Newest Fantastic Triplet Pics:
http://www.taospaint.com/Beautiful/Grandkids.html
My newest watercolors:
http://www.taospaint.com/Portfolio/Recent.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Re:artists as teachers
From: "jane mary" <mjart49@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 09:27:34 -0400
X-Message-Number: 3

Beautiful watercolors! I enjoyed looking at your work.

MJHadley

>From: Jerry Vilenski <jvilenski@yahoo.com>
>Reply-To: "TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group"
><teacherartexchange@lists.pub.getty.edu>
>To: "TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group"
><teacherartexchange@lists.pub.getty.edu>
>Subject: Re:[teacherartexchange] artists as teachers
>Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 05:31:30 -0700 (PDT)
>
>I have read with great interest the string of
>responses regarding the old artist as teacher debate,
>mainly because I started some of it! I think it is
>time to unruffle some feathers and look at the issue
>from a slightly different angle. I think it was Woody
>Allen who said "those who can't, teach, and those who
>can't teach, teach gym"! If that didn't ruffle a few
>physical educators, I would be surprised. The point
>is, that when you teach in specialty areas, such as
>music, dance, physical education and visual art, it
>almost becomes incumbent upon those educators to, in
>effect, practice what you preach. To what degree a
>teacher does this is up to individual circumstances
>and desires. I have a family, and spend the majority
>of my personal time engaging in family activities. I
>have spent many of my summers painting--the outside of
>the house, the bedrooms, the hallways, not necessarily
>artwork. I have changed more than my share of diapers
>and attended all the soccer games, tennis and dance
>classes. At the same time, however, I have tried to
>set aside some time each year to creating art. I
>began teaching, like many of us, relatively unprepared
>by my university to real-life teaching. In those
>early years, I spent the majority of my time trying to
>be a better teacher. I started early on,however, to
>set some goals for myself. I decided to complete at
>least 2 painting per year. Then I increased it to 5,
>and then so on until I had amassed a body of work I
>could show and perhaps sell. Making money was not my
>goal-making art was my passion and something I
>considered part and parcel of my life as an educator.
>
>I believe this has enhanced my teaching in ways that
>are sometimes difficult to articulate. I can't
>imagine taking a music class from a teacher who
>doesn't play an instrument or sing at some level
>beyond school, or attending physical education from a
>teacher who doesn't participate in regular physical
>activiities themselves.
>
>In some ways, it is unfair that visual art teachers
>are often placed in a position of continuously proving
>to policy makers and the community the value of art
>education. It is unfair that the math teachers don't
>have to justify their programs by holding math
>exhibits. It is unfair, but true. And it is unfair
>that art teachers need to establish credibility to the
>community by practicing art, but that, in my opinion,
>is also true. If personal circumstances prevent some
>of you from following the path I have chosen, I fully
>understand how that happens. I'm sure many of you on
>this listserve could make me seem like a total slacker
>with the professional activities you engage in.
>
>Our goal as professional art educators should remain
>centered on our students, and somehow instilling the
>passion for art in them that we have in ourselves.
>How you do that is entirely up to you.
>
>Vigilance, Jerry
>
>www.artguyvilenski.com
>
>
>
>
>
>__________________________________________________
>Do You Yahoo!?
>Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
>http://mail.yahoo.com
>
>---
>To unsubscribe go to
>http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: starting hs comics/graphic novel club
From: wendy free <wendypaigefree@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 06:31:20 -0700 (PDT)
X-Message-Number: 4

anyone done something like this or interested in doing
it?

my idea is to do this as an after school club with the
"hidden agenda" of it being a pilot/model for a future
course offering to integrate visual and verbal modes
of communication. using scott mccloud's understanding
comics as a teaching manual -

am thinking we will read together and dissect a short
graphic novel to familiarize ourselves with the
concept and then learn how to create and develop a
comic/graphic story. after practice we'll decide on a
theme and create an anthology of comics to print and
offer for sale. also want to study contemporary
"comic" inspired artists like Keith Haring, Kenny
Scharf, Roger Shimomura, Laylah Ali, Renee Cox,
Takashi Murakami and Yoshitomo Nara and create pieces
that address social issues...

comments/suggestions/ideas/feedback/interested
partners?

:D wendy

 wendy
www.wendypaigefree.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Re: teacherartexchange digest: July 16, 2006
From: "patartsy3" <patartsy3@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:37:46 -0400 (Eastern Standard Time)
X-Message-Number: 5

 

Thank you Carol. A voice of reason at last.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: great book swapping site
From: marcia <marciadotcom@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:51:13 -0700 (PDT)
X-Message-Number: 6

Hey all! I just wanted to let you know about this
really awesome website I found for swapping books. You
can request books that you want people to mail to you
and you post books that you want to trade away. If
someone requests your book, you pay to mail it to them
and you get a free book credit. Then, you can choose
a book for someone else to mail to you. You don't pay
for them to ship it to you. It's for paperbacks, but
of course, you can post hardcover books too. I've
already received 3 free books!! yay! I thought it
would be really cool if a bunch of art teachers
joined, then we can swap our art books! If you sign
up through this link, I get a free book credit.
http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php?n=2&r_by=toolgirl2%40yahoo.com

If you like reading and want to swap books with other people for free, check
out this club that I'm a part of! It's awesome.. I already got 3 free
books. If you use this link to join, I will get a free book credit.
 
http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php?n=2&r_by=toolgirl2%40yahoo.com

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: fun student work
From: "go4art@juno.com" <go4art@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 20:15:02 GMT
X-Message-Number: 7

hey all, thought these just might make someone smile =

www.rrms.wlwv.k12.or.us/KielingL/Awards/Toliet_Seats/examples.htm

=2E......so appealing for middle school students...totally fed into =

their sense of humor :-)

hope you enjoying your summer~
creatively, Linda in Oregon

  

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Re: digital camera recommendation
From: Carokarn@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 16:39:28 EDT
X-Message-Number: 8

I have a Fuji FinePix that I got on sale at Wal Mart and I carry it in my
purse. It works really well for me. I also have a Nikon D-70 that I use
when I
am planning to take serious pictures but many of the pictures from the
little
Fuji rival the Nikon. Of course I can't blow them up to 20"x30" but 8"x10"
turns out fine. It is useful and with a couple of spare batteries, always
ready. This way I don't have to fight if my husband wants the Nikon.

Carol

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: video eq questions
From: marisa vitiello <asiram@there.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 13:43:15 -0700
X-Message-Number: 9

Hello. I teach video and digital video at the high school
level. The parents association raised a bunch of money and I am
trying to buy some equipment. I'm having problems figuring out what
the best equipment is currently. I'm especially looking for sturdy
equipment (these kids aren't easy on stuff) with easy interface but a
lot of manual control. I could care less about the bells and
whistles companies tout for consumers. money is of course and issue,
I plan to buy a good video camera and still digital slr and then 2-3
low end of each. I was thinking about spending 400-600 per video cam
and 300-400 on stills (not counting all the extra stuff I'll need to
buy). the still cameras should have a pretty mobile lcd screen and
ideally cabable of time exposure and manual shutter and
aperture. the video camera ideally has a focus ring, on the
lens--like the old days. Does anyone have any expertise on these
questions??? I'd appreciate help greatly.

also need advice on:
a good sturdy tripod with a fluid head (I only know Bogens but I have
a feeling I can get something just as good at a lower price)
a good shotgun for less than the price of a sennheiser
a sturdy cardiod (audio technica?)
any other sound accessories or does anyone know of good instructions
on making my own?
recommendations on backdrop materials?
I remember that this has been discussed before but does anyone have a
favorite animation software for PCs?

thanks much for any ideas or resources,
marisa

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Re: fun student work
From: Woody Duncan <woodyduncan@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:05:38 -0600
X-Message-Number: 10

Great concept, and I loved the stages of development in drawing with =20
illustrations.
                                                                Woody

On Jul 17, 2006, at 8:15 PM, go4art@juno.com wrote:

> hey all, thought these just might make someone smile
>
> www.rrms.wlwv.k12.or.us/KielingL/Awards/Toliet_Seats/examples.htm
>
> .......so appealing for middle school students...totally fed into
> their sense of humor :-)
>
> hope you enjoying your summer~
> creatively, Linda in Oregon
>

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
in powerpoint format, on one CD $17 (includes shipping)
http://www.taospaint.com/QualityLessons.html
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703
Albuquerque, NM 87199-1703

=93The function of the overwhelming majority of your artwork
is simply to teach you how to make the small fraction
of your artwork that soars.=94 from: =93Art & Fear=94

Woody's Watercolor Portfolio:
http://www.taospaint.com/Portfolio/Watercolors.html
Newest Fantastic Triplet Pics:
http://www.taospaint.com/Beautiful/Grandkids.html
My newest watercolors:
http://www.taospaint.com/Portfolio/Recent.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Re: video eq questions
From: Ann Ayers <art304@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:08:51 -0400
X-Message-Number: 11

Toon Boom Studio is great for Macs and PCs.
http://www.toonboom.com

On Jul 17, 2006, at 4:43 PM, marisa vitiello wrote:

> I remember that this has been discussed before but does anyone have
> a favorite animation software for PCs?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Re: digital camera recommendation
From: "Joe & Vickie Magee" <jvmagee@centurytel.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 16:12:36 -0500
X-Message-Number: 12

If you are looking for a digital camera that is pretty good at just point
and shoot, I would recommend the Sony-Cybershot 7.2 megapixels. I also
became frustrated with the lag time on my older digital camera. I did
purchase this camera about 5-6 months ago more than likely there is a better
upgrade out there. But it takes pictures pretty fast on auto mode and it
does have the capabilities to switch to manual with limited features. I
take a lot of pictures of my girls and I like to enlarge some of the images.
Recently I used it to take pictures of my parents orchids and the 16 x 20
turned out great! It also fits nicely in my purse.

Good Luck,
Vickie

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Re: video eq questions
From: Woody Duncan <woodyduncan@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:40:05 -0600
X-Message-Number: 13

Ask Harold at: mailto:hoart@optonline.net
                                        Woody

On Jul 17, 2006, at 2:43 PM, marisa vitiello wrote:

> Hello. I teach video and digital video at the high school level. =20
> The parents association raised a bunch of money and I am trying to =20
> buy some equipment. I'm having problems figuring out what the best =20=

> equipment is currently. I'm especially looking for sturdy =20
> equipment (these kids aren't easy on stuff) with easy interface but =20=

> a lot of manual control. I could care less about the bells and =20
> whistles companies tout for consumers. money is of course and =20
> issue, I plan to buy a good video camera and still digital slr and =20
> then 2-3 low end of each. I was thinking about spending 400-600 =20
> per video cam and 300-400 on stills (not counting all the extra =20
> stuff I'll need to buy). the still cameras should have a pretty =20
> mobile lcd screen and ideally cabable of time exposure and manual =20
> shutter and aperture. the video camera ideally has a focus ring, =20
> on the lens--like the old days. Does anyone have any expertise on =20
> these questions??? I'd appreciate help greatly.
>
> also need advice on:
> a good sturdy tripod with a fluid head (I only know Bogens but I =20
> have a feeling I can get something just as good at a lower price)
> a good shotgun for less than the price of a sennheiser
> a sturdy cardiod (audio technica?)
> any other sound accessories or does anyone know of good =20
> instructions on making my own?
> recommendations on backdrop materials?
> I remember that this has been discussed before but does anyone have =20=

> a favorite animation software for PCs?
>
> thanks much for any ideas or resources,
> marisa

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
in powerpoint format, on one CD $17 (includes shipping)
http://www.taospaint.com/QualityLessons.html
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703
Albuquerque, NM 87199-1703

=93The function of the overwhelming majority of your artwork
is simply to teach you how to make the small fraction
of your artwork that soars.=94 from: =93Art & Fear=94

Woody's Watercolor Portfolio:
http://www.taospaint.com/Portfolio/Watercolors.html
Newest Fantastic Triplet Pics:
http://www.taospaint.com/Beautiful/Grandkids.html
My newest watercolors:
http://www.taospaint.com/Portfolio/Recent.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Re: starting hs comics/graphic novel club
From: "Harold Olejarz" <holejarz@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 19:52:21 -0400
X-Message-Number: 14

Wendy,

If you have mac computers check out this software:

ComicLife - http://plasq.com/comiclife

My 7th graders love it.

-- 
Harold
Harold Olejarz
Blog - digitalharold.blogspot.com
Website - www.digitalharold.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Re: video eq questions
From: "Harold Olejarz" <holejarz@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 20:06:53 -0400
X-Message-Number: 15
Marisa,
I don't like to give buying advice because things change so quickly.
When I am ready to buy stuff I search through lots of websites to get
the latest info and then make a decision.
In my program we use Canon DV cameras. They work fine and have held up
reasonably well. As for still cameras I started with 3 megapixel
Kodaks but the last time I bought cameras I got Canons. The quality of
the inexpensive Kodaks is not as good as the inexpensive Canons.
> a sturdy cardiod (audio technica?)> We use their mikes and have been very
happy with them.
To see the kind of work my middle school kids do go to:
http://www.wyckoffschools.org/eisenhower/teachers/olejarz/index.html
Good luck,
harold
-- 
Harold
Harold Olejarz
Blog - digitalharold.blogspot.com
Website - www.digitalharold.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Re: digital camera recommendation
From: "croberts" <croberts18@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 21:04:05 -0400
X-Message-Number: 16
Carol...
How fast is the "flash recovery" or "flash recharge speed"?  Can you take 
one photo right after the other...or do you have to wait.  This is the 
problem with my camera.  I have to wait too long between shots...but this 
might just be a because it's digital.  With my 35mm camera, I could keep 
taking them almost as fast as I could shoot them.
Carolyn
>I have a Fuji FinePix that I got on sale at Wal Mart and I carry it in my
> purse.  It works really well for me.  I also have a Nikon D-70 that I use 
> when I
> am planning to take serious pictures but many of the pictures from the 
> little
> Fuji rival the Nikon.  Of course I can't blow them up to 20"x30" but 
> 8"x10"
> turns out fine.  It is useful and with a couple of spare batteries, always
> ready.  This way I don't have to fight if my husband wants the Nikon.
>
> Carol
>
> ---
> To unsubscribe go to
> http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html
> 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Re: Re:digital camera recommendation
From: "croberts" <croberts18@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 21:06:46 -0400
X-Message-Number: 17
Thanks, Vickie,
I'll look into this one.  My camera seems to take forever between shots on 
"auto" when it's using the flash.  And I like it that it fits in your purse.
Carolyn
> If you are looking for a digital camera that is pretty good at just point
> and shoot, I would recommend the Sony-Cybershot 7.2 megapixels.  I also
> became frustrated with the lag time on my older digital camera.  I did
> purchase this camera about 5-6 months ago more than likely there is a 
> better
> upgrade out there.  But it takes pictures pretty fast on auto mode and it
> does have the capabilities to switch to manual with limited features.  I
> take a lot of pictures of my girls and I like to enlarge some of the 
> images.
> Recently I used it to take pictures of my parents orchids and the 16 x 20
> turned out great!  It also fits nicely in my purse.
>
> Good Luck,
> Vickie
>
>
> ---
> To unsubscribe go to
> http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html
> 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: artist issue
From: Sharon Paster <beyondskyline@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 20:35:07 -0700 (PDT)
X-Message-Number: 18
So what constitutes an "Artist"? I believe that if you
come back to creating your own art, time, and time
again, that you are an artist. Anyone reading "Art and
Fear"? I'm up to the part that establishes "fear" in
continuing with your love, but breaks it down, so you
can keep going. Everyone drops?art after college,
since?they don't get the feedback. Some don't. Power
to us! 
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 
---
END OF DIGEST
---
mmorris@theleonardo.org
leave-teacherartexchange-73144W@lists.pub.getty.edu
---
To unsubscribe go to 
http://www.getty.edu/education/teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html