[teacherartexchange] video eq questions

---------

From: marisa vitiello (asiram_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2006 - 13:43:15 PDT

Hello. I teach video and digital video at the high school
level. The parents association raised a bunch of money and I am
trying to buy some equipment. I'm having problems figuring out what
the best equipment is currently. I'm especially looking for sturdy
equipment (these kids aren't easy on stuff) with easy interface but a
lot of manual control. I could care less about the bells and
whistles companies tout for consumers. money is of course and issue,
I plan to buy a good video camera and still digital slr and then 2-3
low end of each. I was thinking about spending 400-600 per video cam
and 300-400 on stills (not counting all the extra stuff I'll need to
buy). the still cameras should have a pretty mobile lcd screen and
ideally cabable of time exposure and manual shutter and
aperture. the video camera ideally has a focus ring, on the
lens--like the old days. Does anyone have any expertise on these
questions??? I'd appreciate help greatly.

also need advice on:
a good sturdy tripod with a fluid head (I only know Bogens but I have
a feeling I can get something just as good at a lower price)
a good shotgun for less than the price of a sennheiser
a sturdy cardiod (audio technica?)
any other sound accessories or does anyone know of good instructions
on making my own?
recommendations on backdrop materials?
I remember that this has been discussed before but does anyone have a
favorite animation software for PCs?

thanks much for any ideas or resources,
marisa