[teacherartexchange] starting hs comics/graphic novel club

---------

From: wendy free (wendypaigefree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2006 - 06:31:20 PDT

anyone done something like this or interested in doing
it?

my idea is to do this as an after school club with the
"hidden agenda" of it being a pilot/model for a future
course offering to integrate visual and verbal modes
of communication. using scott mccloud's understanding
comics as a teaching manual -

am thinking we will read together and dissect a short
graphic novel to familiarize ourselves with the
concept and then learn how to create and develop a
comic/graphic story. after practice we'll decide on a
theme and create an anthology of comics to print and
offer for sale. also want to study contemporary
"comic" inspired artists like Keith Haring, Kenny
Scharf, Roger Shimomura, Laylah Ali, Renee Cox,
Takashi Murakami and Yoshitomo Nara and create pieces
that address social issues...

comments/suggestions/ideas/feedback/interested
partners?

:D wendy

 wendy
www.wendypaigefree.com