Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] teachers as artists: Bravo Carol!

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 16 2006 - 20:06:22 PDT

On Jul 16, 2006, at 8:35 PM, Diane C. Gregory wrote:

> Good for you Carol. I agree with you completely. Very well said.
> --
> Diane
> Quoting
>> I am an art teacher. I am not an artist, but I think I am a
>> far better
>> teacher than a couple of "real" artists that I took classes from
>> in my
>> undergraduate days and from some that I have observed teaching.

Two thoughts here:
Many if not most of the "real artists" who were our teachers in college
had very little if any training in how to teach. It is a sad
situation. I started
college in 62 and dropped out after 3 semesters. When I got serious and
decided to go back to college I started with classes at a juco. I got
teachers rather than grad students. They were concerned about teaching
and motivating their students. Later when I started teaching, I
my students to take their first two years of college at a juco.

When we observe other teachers who need help we need to do whatever
we can to help them improve. They can observe us, take workshops, or
simply talk to them about methods. It's great to be in a profession
we are not in competition with each other. In sports I believe it's
a team.
                                        Go Team Go!! , Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons