[teacherartexchange] starting an after school art club

---------

From: d putnam art (dputnamart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 16 2006 - 07:13:33 PDT

I teach art in a small grade K1 through grade 8 parochial school. Right now
our students have art once a week for 30 to 50 minutes. We do okay with
limited time and resources but there is so much more I could offer if we had
more time. I am considering starting an art club, lasting about an hour and
meeting once a week after school. One of the ideas I have is to offer the
club to my older kids first, maybe grades 5-8 and then another club for
grades 2-4 later. My biggest concern at this point is turning away students
so I am thinking of creating a lottery system or even having two sections
meeting every other week. In a smaller group I thought I could have children
working at their own pace and on self directed projects that interest them
like animation, architecture, web design, weaving, drawing, etc. What I
don't want to do is to get in over my head and disapoint my students by not
providing enough direction and attention. I would love to hear from other
teachers who are running art clubs and find out what you have learned. Are
your clubs structured with officers? Do your clubs perform any community
service? Are your students working on individual or group projects? Thanks
in advance for your advice.
Debbie Putnam
http://www.gateofheaven.net/artroom_main_page.htm