Re: [teacherartexchange] drawing on students work

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2006 - 15:22:16 PDT

I must admit that early on I drew light ovals for portraits with some
students. I quickly
moved away from doing even that. I'm not comfortable around a teacher
who shows
students how to shade or stipple on the students work. I always keep
scraps
of paper around to demo what I'm trying to explain. It is often
difficult to put into
words the visual concepts you try to express. Or, I've got the words
but the student
needs to see it. Tracing paper is a good tool to lay over a students
work to
show how changes in the composition can help.

I got around the constant requests to "show me how" by telling
students that it
was against Kansas law for an art teacher to mark on their work.
"I'll never
tell" was often the response. I told them that my conscience would
know and
so I could not do it. I told them also that I did not want to loose
my teaching
position and have to get a real job. If they wished the law changed they
must write the governor or attorney general. I don't think anyone
ever did.
I did explain this concept in a letter to the attorney general once.
I can't
remember why I wrote the letter but he wrote back saying that my letter
made his day.

By the way, the new attorney general in Kansas has no sense of humor
at all. So I would never write him.

                                                                Woody

On Jul 15, 2006, at 3:02 PM, Leah Korican wrote:

> One thing that came up in the recent discussion was teachers who
> "correct" students work by drawing or painting on it. I have had
> teachers do this to me and generally not found it helpful and I
> don't do it on my students work. If I want to show them something
> specific I will draw or paint it on a piece of scratch paper. I
> have a colleague who teaches both elementary and middle school and
> does "show" students how to draw something on their piece or
> blends colors for them etc.The work often comes out looking
> "better" (ie more realistic ) than it would otherwise and parents
> and administrators are wowed. I feel like it's not really teaching
> them and emphasizing product over process too much. We have
> discussed it and this teacher defends the practice as a way of
> teaching them, scaffolding them over tough patches, and giving the
> students confidence in their work. That if the students feel great
> about the product they will keep making art. What do you all think?
> Do any of you use this technique in your teaching?
>

> Leah

> teacherartexchange/unsubscribe.html

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net