RE: [teacherartexchange] drawing on students work

---------

From: KPRS2 (kprs2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2006 - 14:43:20 PDT

I have reams of tracing paper around the room. I grab a piece of tracing
paper, put it on their work, and ask them to articulate what they think is
wrong. I listen and guide them and then draw on top of their work on the
tracing paper. We discuss why this might be a solution to their problem. I
then take the tracing paper off, and rip it up (much to the chagrin of many
students!) I believe we learn best by doing. So I give them hints, but they
are still on their own doing their own work.

San D

One thing that came up in the recent discussion was teachers who
"correct" students work by drawing or painting on it. I have had
teachers do this to me and generally not found it helpful and I don't
do it on my students work. If I want to show them something specific I
will draw or paint it on a piece of scratch paper. I have a colleague
who teaches both elementary and middle school and does "show" students
how to draw something on their piece or blends colors for them etc.The
work often comes out looking "better" (ie more realistic ) than it
would otherwise and parents and administrators are wowed. I feel like
it's not really teaching them and emphasizing product over process too
much. We have discussed it and this teacher defends the practice as a
way of teaching them, scaffolding them over tough patches, and giving
the students confidence in their work. That if the students feel great
about the product they will keep making art. What do you all think? Do
any of you use this technique in your teaching?

Leah