[teacherartexchange] drawing on students work

---------

From: Leah Korican (lbkrobar_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2006 - 14:02:06 PDT

One thing that came up in the recent discussion was teachers who
"correct" students work by drawing or painting on it. I have had
teachers do this to me and generally not found it helpful and I don't
do it on my students work. If I want to show them something specific I
will draw or paint it on a piece of scratch paper. I have a colleague
who teaches both elementary and middle school and does "show" students
how to draw something on their piece or blends colors for them etc.The
work often comes out looking "better" (ie more realistic ) than it
would otherwise and parents and administrators are wowed. I feel like
it's not really teaching them and emphasizing product over process too
much. We have discussed it and this teacher defends the practice as a
way of teaching them, scaffolding them over tough patches, and giving
the students confidence in their work. That if the students feel great
about the product they will keep making art. What do you all think? Do
any of you use this technique in your teaching?

Leah