[teacherartexchange] A message from Barbara G - on Art Teaching (recent threads)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2006 - 11:07:56 PDT

Barbara G. is unable to get her post through so I am posting it for her

Dear art teachers,

     I have read with interest all the mail so far that discusses our
role as art teachers, Stacie's desire for the right teaching position
and the worth of art teachers that do not produce art of their own.
What I would like to suggest is that we remember, we are teachers, not
just art teachers but teachers whose role is to help shape the the
total child.

     Other issues besides knowing your subject is how important
classroom management is to providing a positive teaching atmosphere,
how does the teacher deal with the disruptive child, and how can the
art teacher strive to help the students become self-directed learners?
All of these issues are necessary to providing a successful classroom.
Why are we spending so much time trying to convince each other which
of the art teachers make better teachers, those that produce art
independently plus teach or the art teacher as a multifaceted
deliverers of art education? What you bring to the classroom should
promote an atmosphere that is stimulating, creative and fun. A place
where students are comfortable enough to take creative risks and learn
from each other.

     As professional educators we can teach the history of man through
his art, we can enhance writing by integrating art, we can beautify
our environment and we can also help heal the ill through art. We are
a multifaceted group. As a teacher for over 35+ years I have seen the
arts grow in acceptance in my community and seen it less visible in
some years, however, what we as art teachers do NOW, is to continually
demonstrate what we add to the educational curriculum by, pushing our
students' work to the forefront through displays in the schools, town
owned facilities, banks, public spaces, and art projects that embrace
the arts. We put ourselves and students art work into the public eye.

Barbara