Re: [teacherartexchange] artists as teachers

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2006 - 07:47:20 PDT

Hi All,

I want to respond to what Pam said in her recent post.

"The fact is that the non-artist
teachers out there are hurting the progress of art education in the public
schools by convincing administrators that art is really not a specialty that
requires any special expertise, experience, commitment or talent."

I respectfully disagree. I think unprofessional art educators who are not
actively involved in the subject in some way, may be hurting our profession.
Making art is not the only way to engage in the discipline of art. Knowledge
of the subject matter is essential and I agree with this. However, the subject
matter is not just making art...it is far beyond this.

I have seen art teachers who have a passion for art ideas, and art history who
make this work for them. I have seen art teachers who have a passion for
interdisciplinary studies and they make it work for them. I think good art
teachers find a way to use their own passions to figure out a way to engage and
involve students in art. I do not think one size fits all. The studio artist
model is but one, very successful way...it is not the only way.

Please consider a more expansive view of this whole situation and cheer on those
individuals who make it work in their classrooms in what ever way possible.

Art teachers, especially elementary art teachers, are my heroes. They work so
hard and it hurts that they receive such harsh criticism from colleagues. Let
us support our colleagues.

Diane