[teacherartexchange] When replying to digest - change subject

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2006 - 07:43:13 PDT

Greetings Teacher Art Exchange Members,

Please - when replying to digest, change the subject line to something
that matches your post....and as Woody already pointed out, clip the
rest of the digest.

Veteran members, you also might want to change the subject line if you
reply to a post made by a digest user that has teacherartexchange
digest as subject head.

So what have I been up to?

San D - I can not add to my many other duties - "keeper of the fish" (smile).

I am taking care of my son's 75 gallon aquarium now - it is fully
stocked with 30 fish and one crayfish. Fish range in size from 1 1/2
inches to about five inches..... too many fish to start off with
setting up an aquarium. I have been dealing with ammonia spikes and
dropping pH.... testing and changing water frequently to keep the
little guys alive. I have had to take a "crash course" in aquarium
maintenance - reading what I can find on line and a book that Matt
had. So far, no fish have died and I would like to keep it that way. In
addition to Matt's aquarium, I have "Marvin", my Betta fish. Marvin is
so much easier to take care of.

Matt bought the aquarium last summer because it was such a good deal
(chuckles). I would have been happy to deal with his 10 gallon
aquarium (which we ended up leaving behind in Athens as we had no room
to bring it home). Matt graduated June 10 from Ohio University with a
degree in Mechanical Engineering. He is now working for Toyota. He
will be in Erlanger, Kentucky for a few months - then will be moved to
two other plants before they find a permanent spot for him. I have no
idea how he will move this aquarium and all of his fish when the time
comes... I guess we will worry about that then? Or maybe I will be
fish sitting till all of these pass on? Matt took up the hobby of
freshwater fish summer before he went to college. He started with a
three gallon aquarium - then stepped up to a five gallon - then the
ten and now this 75 gallon one. Freshwater fish is an expensive hobby
- expensive to keep the critters alive. I have no idea how much money
I have spent so far on stuff.

Well... off to buy more AmQuel to take care of the ammonia.... At
least I got the pH right (at the moment). The catch is - now that the
pH is right, any non-toxic ammonium will be converted to toxic
ammonia......

Regards,

Judy Decker