RE: [teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: July 14, 2006

---------

From: KPRS2 (kprs2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2006 - 06:22:19 PDT

To be honest
with you all, I get more frustrated by the art educators that do not make
art. Those are the ones I don't understand, they can be such phonies. But,
perhaps I am getting too harsh here, I guess art educators that don't make
art need a kick in the pants to get going. That is all I'll say for now on
the subject, as I probably rustled plenty of chicken feathers by now.
Thanks, Bob
------------------------

uh-oh Bob, you've riled this HEN with your remarks. Ok, first of all I must
say that this discussion reminds me a lot of early feminist discussions.
Why, because at one point the feminists got awfully mad at those women who
decided to stay home and raise kids, because that wasn't an option THEY
approved of. My point? As art educators we should be united with the idea
that we are excited about teaching kids about art, and showing them how to
make art, and showing them options by example of our own personal lives. I
would think that calling non SHOWING artists (notice I did not say non
practicing/working artists) phonies is a bit disingenuous, in that we are
all ARTISTS, it is part and parcel of who we are. If I chose to practice my
art on and off over the years in everything from poetry to theater costume
design to puppet design and creation but do not SHOW, or have a WEBSITE,
does that make me any less of an artist that those that do? And, if I chose
to be a teacher who has been blessed with many great art students and
received numerous awards does that make me any more important that those who
have yet to be so recognized? Life is definitely about choices. I do NOT
feel any less of an artist because my energy and love has been thown into my
teaching with my personal "art making" as an additional passion on a list of
family obligations, traveling all over the world, building my house, going
to Broadway plays, going to museums, taking kids to college interviews,
birdwatching, overeating, laughing.......just living. (you can always throw
in bill paying, laundry, cooking and being the toilet fairy to the list as
well).

San D