RE:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: July 13, 2006

---------

From: Susan Bennett (seasideblueviolet_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2006 - 22:33:19 PDT

You are right Maureen, I can be outdated at times.
Even turning a bit gray from time to time.
You and I have a few differences on philosophy on
course work at the high school level. I do not think
all math classes instruct us to become mathmaticians.
Actually I know very few math teachers who go home and
do math in the evening. I hear of the occasional
teacher of English writing a book or two.I do not look
at the worth of that teacher as being lesser or better
because they write a book. The majority of English
teachers I know go home and grade papers. I think
education should be to educate. Showing a person how
to do a technique on a painting destroys the
possiblity of that piece becoming a candidate for the
students portfolio. I do not know any math teachers
who would do a problem on a test for a student and
let them take credit for it. Seeing it as a learning
process is something else. We could be arguing over
split hairs here. Some art teachers have families or
responsibilities beyond work that prevent them from
being active artists. When my 3 children were home
and I was taking master classes I would have had to
stay up all night to fit in doing my own art work.
There are seasons of life and a person who is working
and raising a family cannot go on a guilt trip for not
doing as much art as they would like. Sometimes it is
too much like work.

I have entered a new stage of life, my children are
grown, I finally finished my masters, and I once again
I have time for my own art. It is great! Do I think I
was a lesser teacher during my child raising stage.
Absolutely NOT. That was the best thing for being any
kind of teacher.
Do you have a website of your art Maureen like Woody
does? I would love to see it. Do you currently teach
as well as coordinate?

Susan in Ohio

=== message truncated ===