Re: [teacherartexchange] Being a New teacher

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2006 - 14:48:34 PDT

On Jul 14, 2006, at 3:06 PM, KPRS2 wrote:

> I I have found with student teachers I have to help them think
> this "big picture" through. When asked what lesson they plan to
> teach, I ask
> questions like "why?", "which P&E's are you stressing?", "How many
> thumbnail
> roughs do you expect?" "what is this project leading to". I do not let
> student teachers bounce from one thing to another. Their ideas must
> connect.
> It makes sense to their students, and gives them a feeling of
> growth and
> success as they visually watch their own journey.

"ideas must connect", a very good way to put it. It took me years to
discover
this way of teaching. Toward the end, I made sure that each of my
lessons
sequenced into the next. I tried to start very simple and progress
toward
more complex concepts. Teaching so the students are aware of the
connections
is a magical journey. I wish someone had suggested it to me early on.

> I know in my heart, that
> my student teachers will find their own 'voice' when they teach on
> their
> own. What I hope to do is give them a foundation for that voice.

Give them guidance and skills and most of all encouragement and they
will
discover their own voices. It's such a shame that our first years are
using
our students to train on. But, perhaps every year is that way, or how
else
do we grow.
                                                Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque