Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] Being a New teacher

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2006 - 14:48:34 PDT

On Jul 14, 2006, at 3:06 PM, KPRS2 wrote:

> I I have found with student teachers I have to help them think
> this "big picture" through. When asked what lesson they plan to
> teach, I ask
> questions like "why?", "which P&E's are you stressing?", "How many
> thumbnail
> roughs do you expect?" "what is this project leading to". I do not let
> student teachers bounce from one thing to another. Their ideas must
> connect.
> It makes sense to their students, and gives them a feeling of
> growth and
> success as they visually watch their own journey.

"ideas must connect", a very good way to put it. It took me years to
this way of teaching. Toward the end, I made sure that each of my
sequenced into the next. I tried to start very simple and progress
more complex concepts. Teaching so the students are aware of the
is a magical journey. I wish someone had suggested it to me early on.

> I know in my heart, that
> my student teachers will find their own 'voice' when they teach on
> their
> own. What I hope to do is give them a foundation for that voice.

Give them guidance and skills and most of all encouragement and they
discover their own voices. It's such a shame that our first years are
our students to train on. But, perhaps every year is that way, or how
do we grow.

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703